Okay. Firstly, where the painting isn’t. People have suggested:
- Stashed inside the Leaping Horse
- Behind the Japanese Zen scroll of the circle in the Long Island house.
In fact, the painting is in Moma, behind, or underneath, the Sunshines triptych, which is painted over it. The clues are:
- that that particular Sunshines is bigger than all the others, and is printed by hand, whereas all the Sunshines have been machine made for decades
- thematically and formally, it mirrors the Matisse painting hung opposite. “The one with everyone fucking everyone else, in a big circle,” as Vincent describes it, right before he says he knows where it is.
- that’s where Randall would put it, isn’t it?